Scheduled to undergo MRI for dementia. Safe to undergo MRI with metal fillings in teeth, metal clamp in abdomen?

Would a contrast agent need to be used when having a MRI trying to diagnose Dementia in a 61y old patient? Is the agent Gadolinium? Is it safe to have a MRI with metal fillings in your teeth and a metal clamp in your abdomen?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 58 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Generally, to diagnose dementia, a plain MRI is used, but when dementia related to Alzheimer's disease is suspected, they do use a contrast, which could be gadolinium.

Patients scheduled for an MRI are asked about any metal clips, stents, dental fillings, intra-uterine devices, foils, trans-dermal patches, etc.

It would be best for you to inform your doctor or the MRI technician about your dental fillings and metal clamp/pin in the stomach. The doctor or technician usually adjusts the frequency of the MRI to best suit your comfort and avoid all complications.

They will also require more information on the exact metal used for your dental fillings as well as your stomach clamp, as this would help them in classifying the metal into a less magnetic or highly magnetic metal, and accordingly either adjust the frequency or advise against an MRI.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.