Scheduled for inguinal hernia surgery. Is it safe for me to swim with hernia?

General Surgeon
I have an inguinal hernia and am scheduled for surgery in a month. Is it safe for me to swim with a hernia?
Also, I am travelling to France for my daughters wedding next week. Is there anything special I should do to ensure no problems with the hernia? I have heard it can become strangulated and require emergency surgery.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

The main problem with hernias is that no one knows when and if it get strangulated. Some people can live with hernia whole theirs life without strangulation, some may have it strangulated right away after occurrence. This is reliant of how big hernia is. If it is small, and the "gate" is tight, there is more probable that it will strangulate.
So basically walking with hernia always will be a kind of risky. However, it does not happen so often.

Till the surgery you should avoid any action which do increase tension in abdominal cavity, as this is how the hernia gets out of the abdomen. It is advisable to refrain from seeming. You can secure your hernia with a special hernia belt. Plane flight has no influence on your hernia.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.