Scars on c-section hurts and felt a lump on it. Should I be concerned?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi the last 2 3 days I have noticed when I get out the bath and dry myself where my c section scar is in a certain place it hurts today I had a feel around and it feels liked have a little lump and that is what is sore what is this I am on my period dunt no weather this is anything to do with it also the certain spot only hurts when I press it
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 54 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

This lump can be caused by incisional hernia or surgical suture causing local inflammation. Incisional hernia is caused by incompletely healed surgical wound. Abdominal cavity organs are getting out through such place causing symptoms like pain, sometimes intestines obstruction. The symptoms usually aggravate when coughing or pushing on stool.
If it is a surgical suture inflammation, some reddish color of the skin in this area should appear and discharge is possible.
You should have abdominal wall ultrasound of this area to make sure what is it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Scars on c-section hurts and felt a lump on it. Should I be concerned? 17 hours later
I went to the docs today they said they could not feel a obvious lump so it's nothing to worry about also they said try can see inflammation from where I'm shaving which can cause redness and infection that was it do I need anything for this or will te infection die down its own I think she said using a blunt razor can cause this and can n sum cases cause infection din actually say weather I had a infection or not though

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Hello!

Well, not even doctor during the examination can tell either there is a hernia or not. And such examination should be performed on standing position, this is when the hernia appears. While lying down, it hides and can not be palpated. So again, if you do feel a lump, only abdominal ultrasound will tell if there is a hole or not.
Skin inflammation caused by shaving will go away by itself. So it does not need any medical attention.

Regards.

Follow-up: Scars on c-section hurts and felt a lump on it. Should I be concerned? 3 hours later
Are hernias XXXXXXX shall I see if it settles if not shall I go back

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Hello!

Yes, hernia can be XXXXXXX but it gives so characteristic symptoms that it can not be missed. But in most cases hernias do not cause any danger and people do live with it. The danger is that every hernia can get stuck causing intestines ischeamia what can lead to necrosis. If it happens strong abdominal pain appears with vomiting, nausea.
I suggest you to see if it still causes any symptoms. If not, you can leave it alone. But if it does, you should have abdominal ultrasound just to make sure.

Hope this will help.