Scalp has been tender, feels like sunburn and keep covered. Noticed dent on crown and have hair loss. Advise?

Hi my scalp has been very tender for the last couple of week. It feels like sunburn but I keep covered up. I have noticed today that there seems to be a dent on the crown of my head and I have some hair loss. I did get my hair highlighted about 4 weeks ago - I dont know if that would affect it
Just wondering if there is any feedback - thanks
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible reaction to chemicals used

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome. My apologies for the delay.

Based on the provided history, from my experience I have come across a number of cases wherein patients report to me with allergic reactions after the use of various chemicals on their scalp (eg. hair XXXXXXX new conditioner, new shampoo, hair gel, etc.).

Please do not worry about this. The scalp is very sensitive, and usually when strong chemicals come in contact with it, the sensitive skin gets irritated and reacts. This could result in itching, dry skin (flaking), redness, pain, local increase in temperature, hair loss in the affected area, etc.

I would first advise you not to cover your head, as this can result in damp and moist surroundings which would promote the growth of bacteria and could result in an infection. Wash your head regularly with clear room temperature, running water. Also, you would have to visit a doctor (skin specialist: dermatologist), who would supervise your recovery to avoid any damage to hair follicles in the region.

I wish you a speedy recovery and a healthy life thereafter. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.