Rubbery mass on cheek, does not protrude, moves when pressed. Lipoma?

I have a rubbery mass about the size of a large pea on my cheek just above the jawline midway between my mouth and ear. It does not protrude. You have to push with a finger in the spot to find it. It seems like it moves around when you press on it. Is it a lipoma?
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your description, the pea sized swelling near your jaw seems to be a swollen lymph node.
Such a small sized lymph node becomes prominent due to an infection in the oral cavity or throat or in the ear. It can be a small viral infection too. This is not worrisome as most of the times, these do subside spontaneously in 3-4 weeks.
In case it is associated with pain , is gradually increasing in size or becomes adherent to the surrounding structures then it needs to be investigated by a Fine needle Aspiration.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Rubbery mass on cheek, does not protrude, moves when pressed. Lipoma? 22 minutes later
Thanks for your response. The limp has been there for close to a year. It does not seem to be growing and does not get larger when I am sick. My primary care doctor said it didn't seem to be a lymph node. Could it still be swollen for that long? Also, I recently had labs done for my physical and they all checked out normal
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the swelling is present for last one year then it is not likely to be due an inflammatory cause. A lymph node swelling of less than 1cm in size in this area is not significant.
It can be a lipoma too.
Since rest of your investigations are normal, there is no need to worry. An FNAC will help in confirmation of diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.