Round, red, itchy spot on pubic bone. Have had only protective sex. Itchy ingrown hair in pubic area

I have a round red itchy flat spot on my pubic bone, about a cm wide. I have only had protective sex. I do shave my pubic area and did notice what I thought was an itchy ingrown hair before it became this spot and I did scratch a lot.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

Important aspects of your query are:
• 19 year old female
• Complaints of: round red itchy flat spot.
• Cocern related to excessive itching

Most common cause of such lesions is tinea. It is caused by the fungal infection of the skin.

For treatment following measures will help you:
-Wear loose cloths, so it does not irritate lesion or rub against it
-Keep your skin clean and dry.
-Avoid scratching as it has tendency to spread nearby parts of skin.
-Wash clothes every day while you are infected.
-Apply over-the-counter antifungal creams that contain clotrimazole (candid). But it should not have steroids. Also use tab flucanazole 150mg once in a week for 4 week (total 4 tabs).
-For excessive itching you can use cetrizine 10mg tablet once in a day.

Wish you good health.