Rolled ankle and had swelling. Had ligament damage. Wearing ache bandage or ankle compression wrap. Remedy?

I rolled my ankle a month ago. The swelling has gone down about 80%, but it will not go down any more. The area around my ankle is still hot even though I ice it regularly. The area around my ankle where the ligament damage occurred is still a little tender. My foot is closest to normal when I wake up in the morning, but swells throughout the day. I where an ace bandage or an ankle compression wrap during the day
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 37 minutes later
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Dear sir ,

Well from your history I assume that you have got a ligament tear . I believe that you have already got an Ankle X XXXXXXX done to rule out any fracture .

The treatment depends upon the grading of sprain but I will like to brief you .

R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compression and elevation) is the general protocol for ankle sprain. A short leg cast or a cast-brace may be used for two weeks to three weeks fro more severe sprains .

I advise you to consult your orthopaedicain and start with some antiinflammatory drug like naproxen which will help you with swelling and pain .

Hope you are satisfied with the answer.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti