Ringworm in right eye, on griseoful, econazole medication, recurring condition. Treatment ?

hello my son is 7 years old, he has been going to a dermatologists for treatment of a ringworm on his right eye. He just finished taking medicine for 2 months, the ringworm is back. it has been reoccurring for about a year, at first his pediatrician was treating him with the same medicine, why won't this thing go away. the medicine is griseoful and econazole
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for the question.

From the information you have provided it seems quite clear that your son has some type of resistant infection. I think at this point since you has been treated with these medications we must consider the possibility that something other than ringworm may be playing a role.

I strongly advise you to seek the advice of a infectious disease specialist. These physicians are skilled in infections which are resistant as well as infections which might be somewhat rare.

I am not concerned that your child is in any danger but I really think that a focused consultation from a specialist will provide you with the adequate information and treatment recommendations which you need at this point.

I would not recommend treating with any additional medications until you speak with a specialist.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert