Ringing noise from ear after swimming, mild hearing loss. Infection?

Question
I had swimming before 3 days, It seems that still some water is there in my left ear, I am not able to listen much from left ear and its ringing some noise in my left ear if I close right ear. No issue in right ear.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of a middle ear infection. Swimming as such cannot lead to an ear infection but it can aggravate an already existing ear infection. As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Did you have any problems in hearing or a ringing sensation prior to this?
b. Have you been diagnosed with a middle ear infection earlier?
c. Do you have any fluid draining from the middle ear?

It is essential that you get yourself examined by an ENT specialist who can examine you and start you on appropriate therapy.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Ringing noise from ear after swimming, mild hearing loss. Infection? 16 hours later
a. Did you have any problems in hearing or a ringing sensation prior to this? No
b. Have you been diagnosed with a middle ear infection earlier? No
c. Do you have any fluid draining from the middle ear? Not exactly. But it seems something is there.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

Thanks for getting back.

Currently, your symptoms are suggestive of an infection in the middle ear. Sometimes, a middle ear infection, particularly if accompanied by a perforation in the tympanic membrane, remains asymptomatic.

This condition needs treatment in the form of antibiotics and possibly surgery (depending upon the location and size of a perforation).

I would suggest that you consult an ENT specialist who can examine your ear and prescribe appropriate therapy.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I have missed out on any other concerns.