Retinal tears fixed with laser. Advised to stop shooting. Wondering what problems can happen by trapshooting.

I have had three small retinal tears fixed with laser and the doctor who performed the procedure advised me to stop shooting. I am an avid trapshooter and wonder why the shooting would create further problems of retina has been attached
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 6 hours later
As I believe that more information can help a physician help you better, I would like to know whether any recoil is produced by the type off shooting you’re currently practicing.
A retina which has had a tear in the past is always predisposed to further tears. To avoid future recurrences, all precipitating factors like sudden jerky movements and lifting of heavy weights need to be avoided.
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Retinal tears fixed with laser. Advised to stop shooting. Wondering what problems can happen by trapshooting. 53 minutes later
Yes, there is considerable recoil but others have had detached retinas repaired and their doctors told them it would be OK to continue shooting. Which is why I'm questioning the advice to stop shooting. Would the fact that I am very nearsighted have a place in his advice not to continue shooting as the retina may be stretched or thin?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
Thanks for getting back to us.

You are correct that in cases of high myopia where there is thinning of the retina, there is a chance of this tear progressing into XXXXXXX retinal detachment. This could have been a contributory factor in the physician's advice to stop shooting.

I would suggest that you take adequate precautions to lead a healthy life.