Ask a Urologist   »  

Retaining urine, bladder infection, do not want catheter, no tumor. Have cerebral palsy.

I'm 62 with cerebral palsie.istarted retaining urine about 4 mos.ago.I had 2 children,could get around pretty good.married and raised my kids ect.I have to push and push and go just little.Dr. stretched eretha tube after i was in hospita a week.had first UTI infection,then went into blood infection,now bladder infection.I sit and sit trying to urinate only after pushing and straining ,but not all of it.Help,i don't want to wear a catherator! No tumors,cysts,obnormitys ect.
Thank you-jennie
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later

I understand it is extremely hard and uncomfortable when you have retention of urine. Let me give you some useful suggestions to help you deal with this issue.

Based on your report it appears to me that you might have Urinary tract infection (UTI) can lead to retention of urine commonly in men of your age.

In this situation, I would suggest you to get a urine test – culture and sensitivity done. You may need to start yourself on antibiotics and alpha blockers under the care of urologist. Once the infection is completely treated, you should be able to pass urine with less discomfort.

Meanwhile as you prepare to get the tests done, you can try cranberry juice which is helpful in treating UTI.

Hope this answers is helpful to you. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be glad to assist you further. Please accept this answer if you do not have any other queries.