Ask a Urologist   »  

Result of PSA test >20 ng/mL. Suggestion?

Hi, I'm XXXXXX. My Father has undergone a general PSA test and the result is > 20 ng/mL. So Can I have a suggstion about this?
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Vineet Malhotra 6 hours later

Thanks for your Query.

Elevated PSA is one of the tests suggestive of abnormalities of prostate gland.
If he has urinary symptoms, a course of antibiotics followed by a repeat PSA is advisable.However, PSA greater than 20ng/dl is suggestive of malignancy.

I advise you to get a urological consultation for your father. A per-rectal examination of prostate may detect an abnormality of the prostate gland.A transrectal 12 core biopsy of the prostate maybe required to confirm the diagnosis.

A localised low grade prostatic malignancy is completely curable by radical surgery.

I hope i have answered your query.
Iwill be happy to answer any further queries that you may have.

Dr Vineet Malhotra