Resting pulse varies throughout the day and have intermittent pain inside arm.ECG was normal. Suggest?

My resting pulse varies throughout the day between 55 and 80. I also have intermittent pain inside my left arm.

My GP did a 2 minute ECG and it was normal.

Should I be worried about my pulse?

I am 37 years old and male.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 35 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. A normal adult's pulse can be anywhere from 60 to 100 beats per minute. Anything over 100 is technically defined as a tachycardia.
Your resting pulse rate is absolutely normal. However if it exceeds 100 beats per minute or if there is worsening of the left arm pain or there is associated chest pain then the following causes need to be ruled out. These include:

1)     Anxiety and stress
2)     Anemia
3)     Hyperthyroidism
4)     Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia
5)     Heart disorders

Then I would suggest you to get it examined from a physician and get your Hb levels, thyroid function tests and an EKG and stress ECHO done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.