Report shows glioblastoma multiforme Grade IV. Undergone brain tumor surgery. What are the steps to cure?

Nov 2013

Hi Doctor This month my Father undergone a brain tumor surgery. The report shows that it is glioblastoma multiforme Grade IV. can you kindly advice me what are the steps i have to take to cure this
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) is a malignant tumor (cancer) of brain. Grade IV represents the most severe form of brain cancer. The initial treatment is surgery, to remove as much of tumor as possible. This is followed by radiation therapy, especially if the whole tumor could not be removed. In most cases, chemotherapy (tablets and injections) are also given to reduce the size of tumor. One of the commonly used drugs for treating GBM is temozolamide. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: Report shows glioblastoma multiforme Grade IV. Undergone brain tumor surgery. What are the steps to cure? 13 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX At present my father is taking Radio therapy treatment. Kindly clarify the Below Questions: 1.After this Therapy treatment How will be my Father's Health? 2. Is my father have to take continuous Medicines after Therapy Treatment? 3. Is there any special Treatment available after Therapy to restrict the growth of Tumor? 4. What are the causes of Brain tumor and Kindly Explain how to avoid cancer by Food Habits & Life style Kindly Explain the 3rd & 4th Questions in detail to clear me Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: My replies are below Detailed Answer: 1. After treatment, your father's health will improve. 2. Yes, continuous medicines will be required. 3. The treatment consists of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. No other treatments are available. 4. The exact cause of brain tumor is not known. It is not related to food habits and life style. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)