Report shows Organism Isolated: Moderare growth of Enterococci. Meaning?

Organism Isolated: Moderare growth of Enterococci
Gram Stain: Occasional pus cells, few epithelial cell, Gram positive cocci in pairs and many Gram positive bacilli seen.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 9 hours later

I am Dr. XXXXXXX and I am here to help in best possible way.

Your report shows "MIXED bacterial infection" here is what it means in detail.

1) A presence of ENTEROCOCCI bacteria which are usually found in gut, as so their are chances it may have entered in to your vagina from the anus opening.

2) The presence of few PUS cell, means your body is working and fighting some kind of infection.

3) Epithelial cell are the lining cells which will be seen in any case.

4) Gram positive and gram negative bacteria's is medical classification system helps to distinguish between the kinds of bacteria's . In short you are having a mixed bacterial infection, and you need to be treated with broad coverage antibiotic.

Please feel free ask any question that comes to your mind.

Follow-up: Report shows Organism Isolated: Moderare growth of Enterococci. Meaning? 40 minutes later
My Wife is pregnant now.. (5 months) and what is the reason for this infection and will it affect the baby...
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 14 minutes later

Thanks for the question,

Yes, being pregnant increase chances for such infections, but normally the baby is covered by the membrane (water bag in common terms) and its safe inside that covering, but the infection needs to be taken care before the baby comes out of the same passage as it can cause infection.

Just relax, baby is safe for now, but the infection needs to be taken care of before the delivery or spread to the inner areas of the womb.

Antibiotics will take care of it.

Please feel free to contact me in case of any further clarification.

Thanks again