Relation between increased level of hyalauronic acid and cancer cell?

Question
hyaluronic acid (taken orally for joint condition) speeds the growth of cancer cells ? i also read about the opposite
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
In human beings, increased levels of hyalauronic acid have been correlated with growth of cancer cells and tumour progression. In animals, Hyalauronic acid levels have been found to be elevated in cancer cells. This allows the cancer cells to spread faster. Also, somehow both HA and the enzymes which degrade HA have been found to be elevated during progression of cancer. This does not mean that HA blocks tumour growth in animals.
So in my opinion, in human beings, HA is associated with spread of tumour cells and is being explored as a drug target.
I hope that answers our questions. Let me know if you need any more help

Follow-up: Relation between increased level of hyalauronic acid and cancer cell? 11 hours later
So if you were me, will you take the oral hyaluronic acid based on that information you just provided ?

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 8 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Yes, I would. I think I was unable to put the point across properly. Elevated levels of hyaluronic acid is found in certain tumors does not mean it causes those tumors. It could be a coincidental finding. As an analogy, drugs like immunosupressants predispose people to certain cancers. But that does not mean that we don't use them where its required or that they would cause cancer in everyone who takes them.
If you have been advised hyaluronic acid for your joints, then go ahead take it. I don't think you need to worry.
Let me know if I can address any more questions.