Regular periods. Flow reduced to 3 days. Should I be worried?

Question
Dear Dr,

Myself XXXX, 27years old and single. I have had normal mentruation cycles until recent.
But since last 5months my mentruation is still normal happens on the right date. But the flow has reduced to 3days only.
Previously there used to be flow for 5days. Now its reduced to 3days. is this something to worry?
I have aHB count of 9. And also i do not take any pain killers or under any medication to affect this. is this something i really need to worry? What could be the reason behind this sudden reduce in flow?
Hopin gto hear from you.

XXXX
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Has several causes; easy to treat;not to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi Ms. XXXXXXX

There are several causes for reduced menstruation.
1. Genetic and extremes of reproductive life like puberty and menopause.
2. Use of hormonal contraceptives
3. Hormonal imbalances like hypothyroidism, elevated insulin, prolactin and androgen levels etc.
4. Disorders of the uterus like Asherman's syndrome (adhesions or synechiae within the uterus reduce the endometrial surface)
5. Operations on the uterus like myomectomy
6. Nervous and emotional factors as in examination and other stress
7. Abnormally low body fat as in crash dieting.

Most of the causes can be detected by simple investigations like blood assay and sonogram or an MRI. In your case, several causes can be ruled out for example, use of hormonal contraceptives, uterine conditions etc. You are anemic and that needs to be corrected. Here is a management plan for you:
-see a gynecologist and get a complete examination.
-trans-vaginal/pelvic sonogram to look for uterine state
-complete hormonal profile and glucose tolerance test.

If any defect is noted, it can be handled easily. Otherwise, the best thing to do is to leave it. The best part is the fact that you are bleeding lesser than before and it will help to improve your hemoglobin levels, so relax. Take a healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, milk and if you are a non-vegetarian, a boiled egg every day. Try to relax from your daily routine through meditation or some other hobby which you like. Get some regular exercise.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.