Regular heavy periods,discomfort,no period since 6 weeks,no sexual activity,healthy lifestyle

I am 23 yrs old. I have never had sex or engaged in sexual activity. I have very regular heavy periods with a lot of discomfort. I haven't had a period now for 6 weeks which is very unusual. I am 6ft tall and weigh 11 stone with a healthy fit lifestyle. I cycle every day and jog, go to gym etc.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 34 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

Heavy periods could be due to two reasons.
First,there may be a uterine pathology like a fibroid etc that will cause heavy bleeding,prolonged,with pain or not.
Second,it could be due to hormonal imbalance.
Unless the bleeding is excessive and lasts for weeks at a time,treatment is usually symptomatic.You should get an ultrasound and some blood tests to rule out hormone imbalance.
You are tall for a woman and seem to be very athletic,that can also sometimes cause heavy bleeding.
But now that you missed your period the first thing to rule out is pregnancy.If you havent engaged in sexual activity at all,then hormone problems are the next best differential.You could wait for a few more days.If you miss your next period,then you need to take some blood tests and a hormone profile.
Some of the common causes of delayed periods are stress and anxiety,high prolactin,thyroid dysfunction,PCOS etc.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them,