Reduced sense of smell, post nasal drip. Citrobacter koseri found in nasal swab test. Taking Sulfamethoxazole. Should I worry about transmitting the infection?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
for the past 3 years I can't smell(every great once in whileI can) and frequently feel like I was punched in the nose. I have post nasal drip. My ent took a nasal swab. Results came back 2+ citrobacter koseri. what is this and how did I get it. do I need to worry abount being around my pregnant daughter and a baby or my 86 year old mom. ENT prescribed sulfameth/trimethoprim. He too had not heard of citrobacter koseri.

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

It is possible you have rhinitis or inflammation of nose which can be caused by various causes. Certain bacteria like Citrobacter are usually normally present in the nose. Nasal tissue gets infected with this bacteria repeatedly and can cause problems like lack of smell, blocked nose.

This infection is known to spread from mother to the unborn baby and can cause complications. Kindly try to avoid close contact with your pregnant daughter as much as possible until the infection is eradicated by successful treatment with systemic antibiotics like Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim.

Do continue and be done with the complete antibiotic course and get a nasal swab done after that to confirm eradication.

You may attempt steam inhalation to clear sinuses which may be infected causing post nasal drip.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.