Redness in leg after standing for long time. Applied aloe vera. What could be the issue?

Jul 2016

Hello: I have been noticing some redness in my left leg, particularly when standing for a long time. I just started work as a security officer and some days I am thinking that it's a rash. It does go away after two to three days, but when I work security the redness comes back. In addition I work at a theater job where I stand most of the time. I had worked a 15 hour day just yesterday and noticed when I came home there was redness, not on the ankle, but on the lower leg. It is not swollen, which is a good thing. I had a pair of blood clots on my left leg, one in 2001 and one in 2004. I have soaked my feet today and put on some aloe vera on the feet as well. I do wear comfortable shoes, so my query here is what should I do and do I need to give up my security job.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you had history of having Pulmonary embolism twice and have redness in your left leg now.

This is mostly due to early (Developing) Varicose Veins in your left leg. The nature has provided non returning valves in the veins of legs to prevent column of blood from falling down in standing position.
However these valves become incompetent in a person who has to stand for a long time resulting in accumulation of blood in deep veins which get engorged (Varicose Vein). This is what is happening in your case.

Please change your pattern of duty.

1) Have a rest for 30 minutes at regular intervals when you are on duty.
2) Elevate your legs while resting.
3) Have mild to moderate exercise of calf muscles to squeeze out the blood accumulated in veins.

If the problem persists or worsens even after taking all these measures you have no option but to change your job.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions, I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.