Reddish,itchy outer vaginal lips,hair removal cream,irritation,burning sensation

my outer vaginal lips that surround my clitoris are red, itchy and irritated in two small areas on each side. i have tried maximum strength vagisil but it only alleviates the itching temporarily. i think i made it worse by using Veet hair remover to be able to further see exactly where it is red and irritated. that seemed to make it worse and i felt a burning sensation when i applied it as well as when i rinsed it off. i have applied vaseline to coat the areas to relieve the discomfort. it has been this way for several months. what should i do?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later

From your symptoms, it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub or the second possibility is of an infection that can be caused by bacteria or yeast.

However the possibility of an infection is less in your case because infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge as well and it may change in color, consistency or smell.

Another reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection.

Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor.

Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:
1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.