Reddish sore bumps in vagina. Causes?

Hello. I am 30 years old and been with the same man for 10 years. For the past few months I have been getting these sore, red bumps on my inner and outter labia and when I squeaze them they burst and puss out like a pimple would. Can you tell me what these are?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The description provided by you is consistent with genital folliculitis or impetigo.

It is usually caused by streptococcus (strep) or staphylococcus (staph) bacteria. It presents as a single or many blisters filled with pus which are easy to pop, filled with yellow or honey-colored fluid and oozing and crusting over.

To confirm the diagnosis we need to do a culture and sensitivity of the discharge from the bump. If it is folliculitis, impetigo or boils, it will come out positive on bacterial cultures.

Treatment includes oral antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen.

Following general cleanliness measures will help in early recovery and will prevent relapses.

Please consult your Gynaecologist to confirm the same and to discuss the necessary investigations to undergo and treatment options.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.