Reddish bumps on the tongue and throat getting bigger. What are these?

ENT Specialist
Question
i have bumps on my tounge bumps on the side and the back of my tounge and throat there pretty good sized the red not white what could be causing these bumps to keep getting bigger
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 20 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. These large bumps are circumvalate papillae, which are normally present on the back of the tongue. A dozen or so of these are arrange in a 'v' shaped pattern.

2. It is common for a person to suddenly notice these and be concerned. This is very common. The smaller bumps are also inflamed taste buds. The lumps at teh back of the throat are small islands of lymphoid tissue and known as granular pharyngitis.

3. Get an oral examination done from a local ENT Specialist. Common causes for inflammation of these papillae are acid reflux, post nasal drip, allergy, coated tongue, dehydration, fungal infections, vitamin and mineral deficiencies and so on. These causes may be corrected easily.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Reddish bumps on the tongue and throat getting bigger. What are these? 20 minutes later
the picture i sent doesnt do the problem justice, what should i look for to be concerd its cancer and would pop do this ive drank pop for years these bumps got bigger couple months ago and one side is worse than the other would that concern you if u were me

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Cancer of the tongue is rare.

2. Use of Pop drinks is of no consequence.

3. At your age, the chances of cancer are very low. Regular direst check-ups can help rule out cancer.

4. It is good to hear that you have given up smoking. In five years or so, the risk of developing cancers will fall to that of a non-smoker.

Regards.