Red welt appeared on foot, warm to touch, no fever and nausea. Any cure?

red welt on lower XXXXXXX not large with redness around. Warm to the touch, also has sharp pain associated with it. Especially to the touch and when I angle foot down. No fever, no nausea.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
A large welt on the lower XXXXXXX with redness and pain is suggestive of an infection in the area. This is most commonly the result of superficial staphylococcus bacterial infection.
I would suggest you to not to pop the welt and keep the area clean. You could apply over the counter antiseptics after bath, to see if the lesion gets any better.
Oral systemic antibiotics are needed for the inflammation to subside. Right now you can start with a mild pain killer and avoid touching the area with bare fingers to avoid further spread of infection.
Do consult your dermatologist for proper antibiotic prescription after an examination.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Red welt appeared on foot, warm to touch, no fever and nausea. Any cure? 10 minutes later
My apologies, maybe a welt would not describe it best. Its more like a bump, or even a little raised area under the skin. Its red around the area also. The sharp pain is on the spot and its sensitive in the redness around it. The sharp pain is also felt in the same area when walking.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The bump is again likely to be due to an infection like abscess or an inflammation due to excessive stress. XXXXXXX splints are also likely. A direct examination of the area will help in proper diagnosis.
I advise you to-

1. Take rest. It plays a key role in decreasing pain and inflammation.

2. Stop doing the activity that caused the problem, at least until the symptoms are under control.

3. Apply cold packs and take anti-inflammatory medications like Motrin to calm pain and inflammation.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.