Red, swollen and irritation in vulva area, yeast infection, ache in pelvic area, urine test negative, used replens

Two weeks ago I started to have a lot if irritation in the vulva area. Very red and swollen and would be worse with touch and after urinating. Had this before and it was either hormone (I am 49 years old) or yeast. Doctors could not find anything and it went away after 3 months. I have been addressing it for a yeast infection as well as keeping the area moist with replens. It has gotten better, but for 5 day now I have had aching in the right side of my pelvic region and it appears swollen. No changes in bowel movements or urine frequency. A low grade fever that appears in the afternoon or when I am sitting still. I took a at home urine test and it was negative and my vaginal ph is very acidic at a 4.5. Not sure what to do next.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub due to an infection caused by bacteria or yeast. However the possibility of an infection is more in your case because infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge and pH.
From the symptoms it looks like the friction rub or chafing has caused this swelling of labia especially due to less lubrication. The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. You can apply 1% hydrocortisone gel locally for symptomatic relief. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.