Red liquid filled lump developed at the base of penis. Is it folliculitis or genital herpes?

I want to know if i have folliculitis or genital herpes can u help if i send a photo? I had one large red bump that i popped and fluid came out 2 weeks ago after shaving. Then i shaved a week ago with the same razor (on the penis shaft from base half way up) around the lump and within two days i developed about 5-6 more smaller red lumps with fluid. Many had hairs in them and i plucked one and noticed the whole follicle had substance on it as if it were clogged. Now its been two weeks and the area is tender and it hasnt gone away. The first pimple lump remains like an open lesion while the others are smaller pimple like bumps that i havent popped. The bumps are not all clustered together but are in line from my base of the penis half way up the penis. I have a good up close i can send. I really want peace of mind that this is folliculitis with an old razor. Please help
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 32 minutes later

Yes, do attach an image of the lesions you have, here using the sites uploader or mail them to the Id - YYYY@YYYY with the subject as Attn: Dr. Raju.

Also please do answer the below questions which help me to understand the condition and to serve you better.

- Since how many days do you have these lesions?
- Were the lesions pus filled any time?
- Were the lesions painful before popping them out?
- Describe the fluid you noticed after popping up the lesions?
- Have you used any medications for the lesions?

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Red liquid filled lump developed at the base of penis. Is it folliculitis or genital herpes? 7 hours later
I had the main/largest one for about 12-14 days while the rest popped up about 7 days ago after shaving.

The lesions were pimple like before popping and had a clearish watery fluid.

The lesions were slightly painful almost like a soreness before i popped it.

The fluid was watery almost clear.

I put some hydrogen peroxide a few times and some neosporin. Ive also taken antibiotics that i had for a prior sore throat the last few days to see if it helps.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

Thanks for the details.

The image sent by your resemble herpes more than folliculitis. The clear fluid filled vesicles and soreness left after popping them are very much resembling typical herpetic lesions.

I suggest you to consult a Dermatologist who after examination may order for test like PCR or HSV antibody test. The test will confirm/rule out herpes.

Meanwhile you can apply Acyclovir ointment on the lesions twice daily. This will prevent the spread and contain the infection. Do not pop up the lesions; the vesicles contain viruses which can infect the surrounding skin.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Wish you good health.