Ask a Dentist   »  

Red lines on roof of mouth, tingling lips, metallic taste in mouth. Is it burning mouth syndrome?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Hi, thanks. Came across this website by chance! I recently went to my dentist for a regular check up and he found what he called "trauma" on the roof of my mouth in the form of 2 red zig zag lines on each side of the roof of my mouth. I have been referred to the Oral Surgery at hospital on 24th. Naturally I am concerned! I have had a very stressful few years for a number of fairly serious matters, however I am 53 and definitely going through the change as periods are getting lighter and less often. My mouth roof and tip of my tongue feel like I''ve had a salding hot drink, my lips sometimes tingle and my taste goes a bit odd (metallic) at times. Is there a good chance I have burning mouth syndrome and can stop worrying so much? The only other picture I can find that looks anywhere near is of something called Erythroplakia which obviously isn't good. In the meantime I am using Gingigel mouth wash to try to alleviate the problem but it's not working! Your assistance/opinion/reassurance would be appreciated, although I realise you cannot see it! Thank you
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your querry.

After reading your symptoms, i feel that you may have developed Burning mouth syndrom, as few of the symptoms you have mentioned point towards that conditon such as :

-scalding/burning feeling in the mouth specially palate and tongue
-metallic taste

I strongly feel that it is this condition as it is most commonly present in women above the age of 35years and the main causative factor is stress. As you are suffering from stress on a daily basis, this condition may have developed. Even the inflammation(red lines) on the palate may have developed because of it but it needs to be verified clinically.

If it is Burning mouth sundrome, then you will get relief from:
-having cold water
-avoiding spicy food
-some patients get relief by sucking on ice chips
-taking multivitamin tablets
-building your resistance by having healthy food
-avoid strong mouthwashes with alcohol

Though erythroplakia may also be stress induces, there are red patches in this condition which irritate and if scraped may sometimes bleed. As you are visiting the oral surgeon for the same, he may get a biopsy done after the clinical examination.

I am certain you'll feel better soon. If there are any more querries i'll be happy to help.

Follow-up: Red lines on roof of mouth, tingling lips, metallic taste in mouth. Is it burning mouth syndrome? 2 hours later
Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 57 minutes later
You are welcome.

Wish you a speedy recovery and I am glad to be of help. Do let us know if you have any more questions. If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion. Any review about this service is appreciated.