Red colored swelling appeared at the site of injection. Should I be concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I recently did an peptide injection into my stomach area..I have done cjc 1295 in the past with no issues at all..This day i added another peptide( Myostatin)in the same vial which i am sure dulled the insulin needle..Now I have a spot about as large as a dollar XXXXXXX where the injection was administered it is warm ,red,swollen and a little painful..My research says it should pass within a few days..72 hrs..It is now at the 48 hr XXXXXXX and is still red..Doesnt seem to be spreading or getting redder but I want to make sure I am not missing any red flags that it could be something else..My thoughts is I made the needle blunt after withdrawing from 2 different vials and thus caused my skin irritation..Just want to verify or I want to know what to be on the lookout for if medical help is needed..
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
The red colored swelling after an injection in the area seems to be due to a hematoma due to the bleeding in the area. Usually it heals spontaneously in about 1week of the injury. The worry starts if sign of infection like fever, redness etc. s present, and symptoms like pain, swelling increases. The home remedies your can follow are:
1.     I'd suggest you apply ice packs to the area for the next 24 hours (this will help limit the bleeding in the injured areas), and then switch to warm packs, which will help your body clear the bruising away. (Remember to place a dry towel between your skin and an ice pack.)
2.     Take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory for your discomfort (e.g., acetaminophen or ibuprofen); these medications usually are well tolerated and don't interact.
3. Do not take tobacco in any form; it may delay your healing process.
If you have an increase in swelling (not redness), Tenderness at the site and increase in pain then you need to consult a physician. Else, need not to worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.