Red bumps on penis. What could this be?

Im 53 being dateing one women for 11 months now i took a shower this morning and after i seen 4 little red bumps not really bumps but they allmost look like ulsers they seemed to have little white heads so i pop them and the biggest one bled for a while 3 are the size of1/8 inch and one is 3/16 thats the one that bled they are on the shaft about 1 inch from the head! thank you
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be herpes genitalis

Detailed Answer:
From the description, it seems you could be having herpes genitalis. It is a viral infection characterised by grouped fluid filled blisters which may rupture spontaneously to form superficial erosions.
It is treated by a course of antiviral like acyclovir 400 mg three times in a day along with application of antibacterial cream like mupirocin over the lesions. Usually it resolves in four to five days. Clean the area with XXXXXXX warm water. Do not use soap or dettol to clean the area.
I would advise that you XXXXXXX a dermatologist to get the diagnosis confirmed. Also as herpes is a sexually transmitted infection, history of similar lesions in partner should be asked for.

Hope that helped.
Follow-up: Red bumps on penis. What could this be? 1 hour later
how long dose it take to catch i have been with her 11 months and never seen this before? and who should my girlfriend see about being checked?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Both of you should XXXXXXX a dermatologist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
I have seen the image attached and it is not clear enough to comment on your lesions. Please post a good resolution image of the concerned area.

Herpes genitalis is a viral infection with an incubation period of a week or two. Sometimes the viral load can be sow low that the risk of transmission fairly decreases. That is even if you are with your partner since an year, you might get its first episode now. It is not necessary that she might be having it or she has transmitted this to you. May be you Contracted it an year back and the first episode was too subtle to be noticed. Just ot know if your girl friends has it now or had it in past, a simple history of painful erosions in genital area can be probed gently.

I have made a probable diagnosis of herpes by description only. A dermatologist's visit is required for confirmation.

Hope this helped.