Red blisters on body, high fever, urinary infection, respiratory infection, constipation, gas

Hello. My 8 month old son weighing 9.5 kg has small red blisters in random parts of his body (pin prick size) and also has high fever (101 to 102 ) for past 2 days. He also has mild urinary infection. Doctor prescribed zanocin (ofloxacin) 5 ml twice a day. I am worried if that dosage is too high. Is that a normal range dosage for a baby?
Posted Wed, 16 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jagdish 8 hours later

Thank you for your query.
From the history that you have provided, it seems that your child is having a viral fever, and the infection has spread, but i can assure you that there is nothing to worry about .

Your doctor have prescribed Zancin for respiratory tract infections, and is a very effective medication. Such treatment is called as blanket therapy which covers 2 and more systems .

As far as the dosage part is concerned the correct dose is 5 ml twice a day, and i can see that what you have been prescribed is correct.

There is nothing to worry about it will take its due course of time for the infection to subside

If you have any other queries on this write back to me. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.
Follow-up: Red blisters on body, high fever, urinary infection, respiratory infection, constipation, gas 5 hours later
Dear Dr.Jagdish. Thank you very much for the answer. Puts my mind at ease. Since he has developed the cold, he refuses to take anything in liquid form. So he is getting constipated and having gas trouble as well. So every night he cries due to tummy pain. Any suggestions on how to get him to drink more fluids or something to help him relieve gas without more medications?

Answered by Dr. Jagdish 15 hours later
You can use powdered Ajwain and give in water. it will relieve gas.

Try feeding foods with a lot of fiber, such as cereals, strained prunes, apricots, or spinach.

Medications include ,Fybogel, Milk of magnesia, Citrucel, or mineral oil. You just start with one tea spoon daily

Safest remedy in a child of that age would be castor oil, half a tea spoon in the night would suffice.

Do give foods in dilute porridge form , it can help to maintain hydration to some extent and also result in soft stools.

DISCLAIMER : This advice is based upon history as provided by the patient as there is no Physician – Patient relationship established. The patient has not been examined per se. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes. Please see a local doctor before acting upon the advice.
Follow-up: Red blisters on body, high fever, urinary infection, respiratory infection, constipation, gas 11 hours later
Thanks aa lot. Now he has developed severe cold with lots of phlegm. He is throwing up any food or fluids we give him with huge amounts of phlegm. His stomach has been empty for 8 hours now. I need to watch out for dehydration, right? How do I get him to eat without throwing up. Even water comes out as vomit after a few minutes
Answered by Dr. Jagdish 11 hours later

there is respiratory tract infection. Zancin treats it. If he is not tolerating go for Amoxicillin/bacrim. Children swallow phlegm and spit it up. So you need to clear the nose.

Here is what I advise for infants:

1. Put 2-3 normal saline drops in each nostril, then wait for 1 min and then do suction with bulb. Do this few minutes before you feed as the nose will be clean.

2. Antibiotics are optional and are decided by Pediatrician.

3. Use Cetirizine syrup (5mg/5ml). Use 1/2 teas spoon a day at bed time.