Recurring cold, cough, sore throat. Taken Honitus, Azithromycin. Should I discontinue Azithromycin?

ENT Specialist
Question

This is about my recurring cold, cough and sore throat. I stay in Gurgaon, Haryana. I have been catching cold, cough and sore throat again and again since last 2 months. Started in the last week of January. I have taken some medicines as prescribed by doctors. It became fine but then recurs again. Currently, I am taking Honitus Syrup and I started Azithromycin yesterday (which I realised is the wrong step - I have taken one tablet of Azicip 500 yesterday). Can I discontinue Azithromycin. And If I continue it, what should be the dosage.

Please tell me what should I do.
Thanks a lot, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 36 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have started Azithromycin, you may continue at the dose of one 500 mg tablet twice a day for three days.

2. You would normally need an antibiotic if you have severe cold, cough and fever.

3. Equally important are supportive medications for cold and cough.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Recurring cold, cough, sore throat. Taken Honitus, Azithromycin. Should I discontinue Azithromycin? 32 minutes later
Hello Sir,

Thanks a lot for your prompt response! This is amazing!

Could you please suggest the supportive medications (and their dosage) that I should take for cold and cough.

My throats aches when I swallow the saliva in.. and is quite sore also... nose is a little runny and ears feel slightly stuffed too.

Thanks again!

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 40 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. You should ideally have a throat and ear examination before you start any medication under the supervision of a doctor.

2. Common supportive medications include an anti-allergic mucolytic such as Tab. Relent OD once a day (drowsiness may be a problem), a medicated gargle such as Betadine and a decongestant plus a painkiller if required. Regular steam inhalation will help.

Regards.