Recurrent sweating, dry and sore throat. Taken antibiotics. What more can I do?

Critical Care Specialist
Hi, I have had sore throats/ throat infections for over the last few years every other month. The other day I was sitting at work and within 1hr I had gone from normal health to sweating, feeling sick and my throat was very dry/sore! Mr dr has always given me antibiotics and adv to drink more fluids (which I do non stop) this has only started occuring since working in call centres? As this isn't tonsilitus they won't refer me to ent and won't operate ! I can't afford to be off every other month and my work are getting annoyed ! Please can you advise me what more I can do ? Thanks
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ghaly 2 hours later

You may be suffering from another episode of streptococcal throat infection. I understand that this is annoying as it is happening quite often.

The best antibiotic would be amoxicillin or keflex along with warn fluids and try to stay away from caffeine containing beverages too. If it did not resolve, another physical exam should be done to rule out tonsillitis.

Recurrent tonsil infections are an indication for Tonsillectomy or surgical removal of the tonsils. You may consider this and speak to your primary care physician about it so that it does not harm you in the long run and you could lead a productive life.

Hope you get better soon.

Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.