Recurrent bacterial vaginosis with light discharge, vaginal dryness, reduced sex drive. Permanent cure?

May 2013
I am a 30 year old female. I have been having recurrent bacterial vaginosis every 2 months for the last 2 years. I have taken Pro-biotics, flagy, Tindimax, and compound vaginal inserts. I wash with only sensitive vaginal wash or sensitive dove soap. I have recently started to see a recurrent cyst on my vaginal lip (gets large as a small m&m candy-may last up to 2 weeks). I have light discharge, vaginal dryness, reduced sex drive, but without the fishy odor. I am tired of not being intimate with my husband, and constantl y receiving the same results. I have been sexualy active only with my husband for the last 12 years. This is really affecting my marriage and self esteem. Please provide any helpful advice - I need a permenant cure.
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi ,

the possible causes of your recurrent bacterial vaginosis are,

-the cyst you mentioned is most probably bartholin cyst,
bartholin gland will be present near vagina and its function is maintaining lubrication during intercourse, when the duct of the gland gets blocked cyst forms, when if gets infected abscess forms,
bacterial vaginosis can lead to cyst and abscess formation when that is not treated, it will harbor bacteria and lead to recurrent infection,

-generally in any genital infection both husband and wife to be treated, if not it can lead to repeated infection,

-sometimes bacterial vaginosis can be confused with other infections like chlamydia, candidiasis etc. so they should be ruled out before starting treatment for vaginosis.

-excessive usage of antibiotics can lead to development of resistant flora which is not sensitive to any antibiotics,

so you consult your gynecologist,
-confirm presence of bartholin cyst and take treatment for that either medical or surgical depending on her advice,
-preferably you and your husband take treatment simultaneously,
-rule out other causes,
-use antibiotics after confirming the sensitivity only,
-check for blood sugar once to rule out diabetes

by these measures you will possibly get cured from this infection.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.