Recovering from total abdominal hysterectomy. Am I able to have intercourse?

I am 68 years old, recovering from a total abdominal hysterectomy and virginal cuff removal. Am i able to have intercourse?
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 34 minutes later

It takes 6 weeks for the surgical wound to heal.
Pain can also cause intercourse to be uncomfortable, so it is important that you be fully healed.
Therefore, I recommend you to wait for 6 weeks before you have intercourse.

Take following precautions:
Rest for 4 weeks,
Healthy nutritious diet,
Avoid lifting heavy objects,
Report immediately if fever, pain and vaginal discharge.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have more queries.

Have a good recovery.
Dr Nilofer
Follow-up: Recovering from total abdominal hysterectomy. Am I able to have intercourse? 18 hours later
Thank you.

The op was several months ago and although I get tired I have made a good recovery. However, I am concerned that I have no physical desire and no wetness.

Also would the removal of the virginal cuff allow penetration
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 28 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

Good that you are making good recovery.

You can discuss with your gynecologist and start HRT(hormonal replacement therapy). It contains estrogen which will solve both your problems.

Only 1-2cm of vaginal cuff is removed in hysterectomy. So, definitely there will not be any problem in penetration.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Let me know anytime for further clarifications.
My good wishes and stay healthy.

Dr Nilofer