Recovered from chicken pox with pit marks on face. What can be done to improve the appearance?

My 9 year old has just recovered from chicken pox and been left with many pit marks on her face, some deeper than others. She is mixed race,- parents White and Asian. What treatments are available for a 9 year old. Is there anything that can be done now to improve her appearance or does she have to wait until she is older, e.g. Laser treatment. Will any of the pit marks fade over time, if so how long would we need to wait.Do any creams work.
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 26 minutes later

I can understand your concern.

Pit marks are also known as scars. They are common after chicken pox. They have to be left alone in a 9 year old until she is older. They fade slightly over a period but not completely.

When older, treatment like pixel laser or microneedling like dermaroller is helpful.

No creams are helpful.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Follow-up: Recovered from chicken pox with pit marks on face. What can be done to improve the appearance? 54 minutes later
Thank you, at what age could she undergo pixel laser or micro needing if needed. What do the procedures entail, recovery time, any complications. Would she get it on nhs or if privately what would be your guess at price. Is there anything we can do to disguise the scars temporarily. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
She can undergo the procedures if required after the age of 18.
Currently I would recommend just leaving the scars alone. They will slowly fade. As of now, it would be best to avoid using anything on your child's skin.
Regarding the availability in NHS, your local doctor would be your best guide for the availability and the price.