Recently smoked meth and then breastfed the child. Will it effect my child?

Hello, I recently smoked meth & then Breastfed my 5 day old baby without knowing it would be in the breast milk... Will my baby be ok? Very worried... I am not an addict & have only done it once. Please help
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Meth is methamphetamine and is a highly addictive substance and you need to stay away from it. It is NOT good for you or your baby. It crosses the placenta and can cause effects on brain even in small quantities. Thus do not take it again. It may remain in blood for many months. Thus it is hard to say if you can restart breast feeding. Maybe you should consult your doctor to check if you can restart breast feeding. If you are giving formula milk, then avoid omega 3, 6 , 9 fatty acids in it as they may also cause restlessness in the baby. Thus the effects can be many. Now you need to compose yourself and get prepared to take care of your baby. He may experience some symptoms like irritability, restlessness, difficulty in sucking milk, tensed muscles, sensitivity to touch, etc. Long term effects are usually on the brain. These effects can include developmental delays, neurological abnormalities, learning disabilities, etc. Withdrawal symptoms may also be seen. We can just hope that it did not cross the placenta in large doses. I am sorry, you and your baby are facing this situation. The best way to prevent this situation is to not take it again. Take care Dr Vaishalee