Recently divorced, got genital Herpes from partner but no breakout. How infectious I am?

I am 53 yrs old and recently divorced. I got genital herpes from my wife 23 yrs ago. I haven't had a breakout in over 4 yrs. I'm ready to start dating and my concern is how infectious am I. I've never had to worry as I was with my wife and never thought it would be an issue.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection runs itself out

Detailed Answer:
Herpes as you know is a viral infection. As with all viral infections, there is no permanent cure but it can be managed. After the initial outbreak, the body starts developing immunity to the virus. The virus may remain in the body but is suppressed with medication and high immunity.
What is important to note is that you may pass on the virus but there cannot be any manifestation unless the body has low immunity.
In the case of an active outbreak, chances of infection are high. Antiviral medication helps to suppress the infection and symptoms. Ideally you should have been treated along with your ex wife at the time of the last infection. Protected sex would be advisable especially with sores. Make sure your immunity is high so that you don't have a outbreak. Other stressful conditions like illness or anxiety can also cause outbreaks.