Received first set of Vaccination. Given the OPV drops. Safe to receive one more dose of OPV?

Hi Sir,

My 5 Days old Baby Boy had received his first set of Vaccination i.e, BCG, OPV and Hepatitis-B yesterday i.e on 3rd July 2013, but i am not sure that the Lab worker has given the OPV drops to my babay, Is it safe if my baby receives one more dose of OPV this week again, assuming that the lab worker has given it already.
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 21 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

The usual recommendation is to repeat a vaccine at least after 4 weeks. A repeat within a week is not recommended. I think it is better if you confirm with the lab worker whether she administered the vaccine or not.

Usually in India the OPV vaccine is repeatedly administered to kids throughout the first five years of age. I think it will be better if you catch up with vaccine after a month.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Received first set of Vaccination. Given the OPV drops. Safe to receive one more dose of OPV? 6 minutes later
Thanks for the reply, So can i have the missed OPV dose during the next schedule and in the mean time is there any side effects to my baby due to missed OPV?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 36 minutes later
Hi again

Yes you can have the missed (if it was missed) dose of OPV during the next schedule. The only risk the baby will face is that he will not be immunized against polio. Till the time he gets the next dose, we can trust the natural immunity that he got from the mother against polio.

Dr Vaishalee