Reason for watery stools of child despite normal diet?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
My almost 3 year old has never had normal stools & yet the past few days they've been even less "normal" than what we usually see. It's pungent, reddish brown, very watery meets a clump but aside from this, he seems fine. He's been tested for everything possible regarding allergies & auto-immune issues but due to his age, the allergy testing is somewhat useless. He is beyond a picky eater yet is a decent eater. I give him his vitamin daily & his Montelukast for his mucus & occasionally his nasal spray if he's struggling. I know something is off in his gut b/c the stools haven't ever gotten to a consistent & healthy point but I am SO hesitant to ever remove anything from his normal menu because he eats about 5-10 foods TOTAL. He's ultra active, extremely verbal & has always been developmentally ahead & therefore nearly nothing slows him down but I fear there's something more I can't seem to decipher & am desperate for any advice, thoughts, recommendations or opinions!!!
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Following suggestions to your son's watery stool.. Detailed Answer: Hi dear XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Usually, children at his age are tested for lactose or other food intolerance. I suggest to run this test in order to get proper measures. It is great that he is healthy and with a good developmental changes. I advise to: - give him plenty of water and otc o.r.s to keep him hydrated - give tasectan and probiotics for diarrhea - get his stool tested for ova/parasites - do culture of the stool for candida. Your son has a history of repeating use of antibiotics for ear infection. Usually, antibiotic intake is often associated with changes in intestinal flora, resulting in watery stool. - advise him to wash hands and keep a good personal hygiene Hope it was of help! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!