Reason for pain in arm when burping?

Question
I AM CONCERNED THAT WHEN I BURP I GET PAIN IN MY LEFT ARM. THIS ARM HURTS IN THIS SECTION PLACE . A MONTH AGO MY GRANDDAUGHTER FELL ASLEEP ON THIS ARM AND SOMETIMES THIS ARM HURTS WITH NECK PAIN AND SHOULDER. I WANT TO KNOW PLEASE IF THIS ACHE IN MY LEFT ARM WHEB BURPING COULD BE HEART RELAYED OR IS IT GERCD WHICH CAN CAUSE LEFT ARM PAIN. THANK YOU SO MUCH. PLS REPLY SOON
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: GERD Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Sorry for the delay in answering. Pain in the shoulder during burping could probably be due to irritation of the diaphragm. This is a common entity. In conditions like GERD the irritated stomach can induce spasms in the diaphragm and result in hiccoughs or pain in the shoulder. I do not think the pain is related to the incident where your granddaughter slept over the arm. Do take antacids like Omeprazole 20mg early in the morning before breakfast for a duration of 15 days. This will reduce the symptoms you have. Wish you good health. Regards,

Follow-up: Reason for pain in arm when burping? 20 minutes later
Thank you. But the pain is in the left arm and not the shoulder when burping. Thanks. The pain is on my left arm above the elbow toward the body . Can pain in the left arm when burping be Gerd I am concerned that pain in the left arm when burping could be heart related

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cant be heart related Detailed Answer: Hi, I am sorry, I failed to mention that the pain due to GERD is presented in shoulder and sometimes can be referred to arm too. Heart condition do cause pain in the left arm but never isolated. Almost always heart conditions present with left sided chest pain which radiates to the left arm and left jaw. Considering your age, its not a bad idea to rule out heart conditions. Do get an ECG done which helps to rule out any heart conditions. Regards,

Follow-up: Reason for pain in arm when burping? 1 hour later
Thanks for taking time with me I appreciate it. Just to be sure you think here can cause pain in the left arm correct. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, Detailed Answer: Hi again, Need not worry. I did consider that the pain is in the left arm. Do get an ECG, it may ease your mind. regards,