Reason for absence of periods after removal of nuvaring?

Mar 2013
I have been on nuvaring for 10 months now and my periods have been very regular, I took the ring out 12 days ago and still have not gotten my period. Last month my period was moderate flow and only lasted 2 days. I have cramping in my abdomen and legs and have had a headache for 4 days now. I have done 3 over the counter pregnancy tests and they are showing negative. Should I be concerned and see a doctor or just wait a little longer to see what will happen
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Once in a while, on birth control, it is alright to skip a period. Also, it is normal to experience slightly reduced blood flow due to the Nuvaring. As the pregnancy tests are negative, I would ask you to wait for a few more days for your period, else repeat the test. All the best Take care..
Follow-up: Reason for absence of periods after removal of nuvaring? 22 hours later
Thank you for responding quickly Today my breasts are very tender at the sides and hot also I have been cramping on and off since the 11 of February are these symptoms common if I were just missing my period from the birth control or is it more likely I am pregnant?? The last pregnancy test I did was yesterday and it was negative.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again. Breast tenderness and off and on cramping again are common on the birth control. I dont think that you are likely to be pregnant, Nuvaring is quite effective. Wati for a week else repeat the test. Get the new ring in only after your period Use backup till then.