Reading an Echocardiogram

Hi, I managed to grab a snapshot of a short report of an echocardiogram. It is concerning to me. I just want to know what this bit of info means. I know it is not complete, but just want to understand it.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later

I have gone through your attached report.

The photo of your Echo cardiography report that you have got is the first page of the report which contains only the general particulars like the velocity of blood flow, the ejection velocities of blood from various ventricles, etc.

The vital parameters to comment on the cardiac status like ventricular sizes, systolic function, ejection fraction, diastolic filling, cardiac valves status, heart walls perfusion, etc are all missing.

It is difficult to comment anything conclusive after seeing the part of report that you have sent. I would like to see the complete report to suggest you better.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Reading an Echocardiogram 57 minutes later
Okay, I see that. But, how do those ejection velocities from those particular ventricles appear? I scared myself silly thinking I have diastolic heart failure or something.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The ejection velocities are calculated by the machine by detecting the speed of blood flow in a particular area or ventricle as indicated by the doctor. The sound of very high frequency is used for this purpose and the echo of the reflected sound is converted into a picture by the machine.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Reading an Echocardiogram 42 minutes later
I'm very sorry for asking my final question. I just want to know if the values of those particular ventricles appear normal in my case. I thought my e and a ratios looked weird. Thank you and please let me know. I really do appreciate your time.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
There is nothing abnormal in the partial report that you have sent. You need not worry further.