Reactive lymph nodes, left groin area, FDG uptake. Lymphoma ?

Oncologist
Question
40 years old, 195lbs. No significant medical problems. Reactive lymph nodes (x2) removed in left groin area. 2-4 more became reactive 3 mos after surgery in 2010. PET scan revealed FDG uptake with SUV of 1.8 (blood-pool SUV is 1.6) in a 13 x 8mm left level 2B lymph node in neck - right side. Oncologist told me that this is no big deal - come back in 3 mos and have a CT scan to see if there's any growth. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Lymphoma

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 42 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some good information and recommendations.

Let me reassure you that again I think this is a reactive process. SUV of 1.8 is not very high and I am sure this is a level of SUV where we can associate it with a reactive lymph node. I would not be concerned at all about this and I am sure your followup visit will confirm that.

I completely understand your fear and anxiety about this but it sounds like you are in excellent hands with a very appropriate workup going on.

Again, have reassurance that you have nothing to worry about right now given the information you have provided. Try not to focus your thinking too much on this - work more on continuing a good diet and healthy exercise regimen daily.

I thank you again for the query and hope my answer is both helpful and informative for you. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Reactive lymph nodes, left groin area, FDG uptake. Lymphoma ? 1 hour later
Thank you. Is there a possibility that this may turn into a lymphoma and if so, what symptoms should I look for?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later
Thank you again for your question and follow up.

There is really no concern for the informant in your case. It reactive lymph node is not anything similar to a true lymphoma. At this point I would not worry any longer about this.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga