Rash on the legs seems to be spreading. What could it be?

I have a rash that came up on my leg as I was returning home from Iraq, I have had the VA hospital look at it and they cant figure out what it is. I have noticed movement in it as it has spread around my leg. I am going to try and attach a picture so you guys can have a look at it.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Thanks for your query

I have had a look at the skin rash that you are having.
It looks more like an eczematous skin rash. But there are certain things that I would like to know from you before I comment further.
Is the rash bilateral or is present only on one limb?
Is there any associated pain or itching?
Since when is the skin rash present?
Is it extending above the knee as well?
Any topical medicines that you have applied over the rash already?
Any swollen veins/varicose veins in legs?

I am sure I will be able to help you more once you give me the above details.

Awaiting for your response,

Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow-up: Rash on the legs seems to be spreading. What could it be? 14 minutes later
It looks to be beginning on the other leg in roughly the same area. It is really itchy and no pain. I will scratch it sometimes to where it is bleeding and dont realize it till I look at my hands. It has been in that area for about 8 years. Just lotion to try and soften it and keep it from itching. No varicose veins
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 12 minutes later

Thanks for the above information.

Now with the above history and the pictures, i can make out that the skin lesions are those of neurodermatitis.
Now this exactly is a skin eczematous condition which is typically increased by continuous itching or scratching.

First of all, you will have to stop itching over the affected area as the more you scratch it, the more the eczema is going to increase .
You need to apply a topical steroid cream over the affected area, something like clobetasol or beclomethasone will help. Apply it twice a day till the subsidence of the skin lesions.
It is very important that you keep the affected area adequately moisturized and hydrated all time. As dryness over the affected area will lead to more itching and thereby increasing the skin lesions.
Wear cotton lowers as much as possible,as friction over the area again tends to increase both the eczema and the itching.
You can even use oil once or twice a day over the affected area. Any oil other than mustard oil will be of help.
If the itching is really bad and uncontrollable, then you might as well take a short course of oral antihistamines.

Hope it helps
If you have any other query, please let me know

Dr Geetika Paul