Rash in vagina, yellow discharge. Serious?

I'm 36 wks pregnant, have a rash on my vagina and a blood tinged yellow discharge, I am quite sexually active with my partner. Is there reason to be concerned.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

A rash on the vagina could be indicative of any infection or an allergic rash or due to vulvovaginitis.

At 36 weeks of pregnancy you must avoid indulging in excessive sex, and avoid all infections to prevent preterm labor.

If the rash is sore, itchy, associated with pain, lump like, burning during urination and has discharge then it can be indicative of any infection and requires evaluation.

Some measures for you:

1)Apply icepack on the area and then observe for any changes.

2)Apply calamine lotion for relief from itching.

3)Keep the area dry and apply Neosporin powder after consulting your gynaecologist.

Please consult your Gynaecologist to confirm the same and to discuss the necessary investigations to undergo and treatment options.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Rash in vagina, yellow discharge. Serious? 49 minutes later
I think I may have an infection because it looks like a a slight pussy yellow bloody discharge, I'm 1cm dilated, is this quite XXXXXXX for the baby?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

If your os is 1 cm dilated and the discharge is pus like i suggest you must see your gynaecologist and get a good antibiotic prescribed for yourself to prevent your baby from neonatal infections.

There are also possibility of preterm labor if not treated properly.

Please visit your gynecologist to undergo physical and local examinations. your doctor may suggest you to undergo relevant testes like KOH smear. And also getting treated early is safe.

Wishing you an early recovery.