Ask a Urologist   »  

Rash in thighs, numb penis, cannot develop full erection, fatigue, back pain. Appreciate any guidance.

I'm 23, 5' 10", and have no significant medical history. Within the past couple months, I have had two bouts with a gastroenteritis-type bug, one of which ended with a rash. The rash was primarily around my thighs and waistline but eventually spread to my extremities and lasted about one night. Now, about 10 days later after the second bout, my penis feels numb and warm to the touch. It feels foreign, almost like dead weight. I can't develop a full erection and there seems to be a huge loss of sensation. No penile injuries that I'm aware of. Normal sex and masturbation habits. I haven't had sex in almost two months. I should also mention that I've tested negative for all STD's. I'm also experiencing fatigue, back pain, and somewhat enlarged lymph nodes in the neck. But I'm not sure if these are related or byproducts of the stress or what.

I have convinced myself I have everything from Guillan-Barre to prostatitis to varicocele to MS to Lyme's and I'm just scared to my wit's end. I would appreciate any guidance. I'm not even sure if I should visit a urologist or a neurologist or God only knows... Thank you.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later

The erectile dysfunction you are experiencing is part of much larger disease process. All the symptoms you are experiencing such as fatigue, back pain are interrelated. Any prolonged sickness that drives out the vitality from your body shall certainly affect the sexual function. Hence, nothing unusual about the lack of erection you are experiencing.

I shall suggest you to have balanced diet and start yourself on multivitamins to improve your general health. In addition, I suggest that you should see general physician to rule out any disease process that is still continuing.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Rash in thighs, numb penis, cannot develop full erection, fatigue, back pain. Appreciate any guidance. 55 minutes later
What about the abrupt numbness? I'm also developing a suspicion that incomplete bowel movements could be related but I can't decide if I'm just throwing any possibly symptom into the mix here. But what disease do you think this could plausibly be?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Your symptoms are predominantly neurological in nature. A neurological diagnosis requires a thorough examination and investigations. I would suggest that you consult a physician who can examine you and perform appropriate investigations. This will help pinpoint the exact cause.