Rash in arm after tetanus shot, warm to touch, swollen

My boyfriend was cut by a knife, he went to the ER and got a tetanus shot and stitches about 8 hours later, now his arm has a rash and it is warm to the touch and swolen, however it is not near the wound. It has been 7 days since this happened.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I think he needs medical attention again.

Presence of warmth, redness and swelling is strongly suggestive some infection in the arm.

This could be due to some allergic reaction to injury or tetanus injection, if it is at the site of injection or near to it.

At times any vaccine can lead to pain and swelling at site or near the site of injection.

There are also chances of some local infection in the arm due to injury also.

Please do not ignore this and visit ER or your doctor at the earliest.

He might need analgesics to reduce pain and swelling and a course of antibiotics.

In mean time ask him proper care and avoid lifting any weight with that arm.

He can take tablet Tylenol for some relief.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing him speedy recovery.