Raised, hard, red bump on arm, itchy, scabbing over sore, weakness in arm

Question
I'm getting a small bump on my arm , raised with red around the area. it is hard but other than that starts out looking like a bug bite of some type. area is very itchy especially at the sides of the bump, i scratched it and then it created a much larger scabbing. Now i think another small "bite" is starting near the first, now scabbed over sore. the general area is kind of sore and itchy.. sometimes very itchy, sometimes not. and I may be imagining it, but maybe weakness in my arm now. help.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Savita Mishra 25 minutes later
Hello.

It looks like a bug bite as you are suspecting it. This is your body's respnse to this allergen.
However, for a correct clinical picture, a physical examination is necessary in case of rash. So, I would suggest you to consult your Dermatologist.

In the meantime, you can apply Steroid containg ointment locally for immediate relief.

Your doctor could advise you some Antihistaminic injections and oral Antihistaminics and steroids for 2-3 days for complete relief.

Avoiding the contact with the allergen (bed bug in your case ) would be the golden preventive measure to prevent this from happening in the future. Change your bed sheets often. Dry them in sunshine. Boil them in hot water if possible.

Such ailments definitely disturb the patient psychologically but please get reassured
once the diagnosis made correctly then you are relieved physically and mentally.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be avilable for your follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Raised, hard, red bump on arm, itchy, scabbing over sore, weakness in arm 53 minutes later
I will look for bed bugs, but I don't understand why i would only have one to three bites?? and why i would have a clear discharge around the wound. I was more scared it could be a mrsa or ringworm type of problem.

Answered by Dr. Savita Mishra 3 hours later
Hi

Welcome back

Any differntial diagnosis is possible the way your lesions are indurated and itchy. Regarding MRSA, the lesion would have by now involved much wider area of skin with hardness allover and oozing allover. Pain would be your predominant symptom rather than itching. There is very likely possibility of fever as well.

Ringworm (tineasis) is less likely as these lesions are clearly coin shaped (like ring) with no hardness as you have mentioned, there is usually no significant flare although they are itchy.

Think of the common things first. If the lesions are multiple and close by most commonly it is an insect bite which typically occurs at multiple locations close by. Watery discharge is due to tissue reaction to any infection/allergen.

You should see your doctor since a clinical assessment is very important to arrive at a diagnosis.