Radiation proctitis and enteritis. Done physiotherapy for pelvic floor strenthening. Diagnosed with large rectocele and small enterocele.

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello. I am 62 and live in Ontario Canada and am experiencing worsening bowel symptoms, likely radiation proctitis and enteritis. I have been told there is no real treatment and advised to treat the symptoms with biofeedback (for incontinence) and physiotherapy for pelvic floor strenthening. I was looking for advise on possible treatment options to treat the underlying condition rather than just the symptoms. I am having increasing abdominal pain after eating, often mucousy watery movements and ongoing rectal discomfort which makes it difficult to cope with on a daily basis. I also have been diagnosed with a large rectocele and small enterocele. Your input would be most appreciated. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Managemant adviced

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query
Radiation associated issues have no specific remedial measures other than symptomatic treatment. The injury occurs at the time of irradiation and the effects are felt later. As the inciting agent is alredy gone there is no curative treatment here.
Rectocele is an after effect of prolonged constipation and pelvic muscle incordination.
Regarding the management try avoiding milk and simple sugars and take a high fibre diet or fibre supplement. A course of tablet Rifagut and vit C will help. Continue biofeedback and you may also try sucralfate enema and sitz bath.
Hope this helps
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Radiation proctitis and enteritis. Done physiotherapy for pelvic floor strenthening. Diagnosed with large rectocele and small enterocele. 2 hours later
Thank you very much. I have also read about hyperbaric oxygen as a new possible effective treatment. There is a private clinic close to me that has hyperbaric oxygen but they are not familiar with radiation enteritis. If you are able to provide me input on this as a possible treatment it would be most appreciated.
Thanks again, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Directed

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the followup
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy will definitely help

I think most useful information is available on this link
WWW.WWWW.WW

You are free to ask for clarifications.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Radiation proctitis and enteritis. Done physiotherapy for pelvic floor strenthening. Diagnosed with large rectocele and small enterocele. 36 hours later
Thanks. Wondering about suggested number of treatments and timing. Thanks again. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Directed

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Pls see the link below for the details
WWW.WWWW.WW There is a table explaining the treatment on Page 140
Dr XXXXXXX