Radiation done for tongue cancer. Getting difficulty to swallow food. What should be done?

My mother has completed 30 radiation sessions for cancer in the tongue. Prior to that she also underwent a minor surgery. Due to radiations its increasingly difficult for her to eat/swallow food. She takes liquid food only. But, cant take much. I fear that though till date the weight loss has not happened much, it might now happen. Please suggest some ready to eat/swallow health drink to retain her energy. I read about Nestle's carnation breakfast mix that some cancer patients have taken in XXXXXXX Is there any Indian alternative? Please advise.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 2 hours later
Thanks for your quiry. In addition to the liquid food she is already taking you can also give her Ensure or Glucerna available on any grocery store or CVS as liquid suppliment food.
Surgery followed by radical radiotherapy must have definitely rendered her incapable of masticating solid food. In addition to the liquid food you should try some semisolid food according to her liking. She needs a mouth opening exercise which will be shown to you by a physiotherapist which will help her in chewing.
Dr. J. Ticku ,